Traditions of the Kyrgyz people were being formed with the help of economic, trade, domestic and other relations with kindred and other tribes that were closely related to the geography of their ha...

After the coup of 19 March 1953 in the socio-political history of Iran there were fundamental changes: the powers of parliament were limited and the absolute power of Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi was...

In the Middle East, Saudi Arabia and the Islamic Republic of Iran are two countries that claim to leadership in the region. With a powerful resources and political potential these countries are the...

Tajikistan Ratifies Agreement On Modernization Of Kayrakkum Hydroelectric Power Station

Saturday, July 1, 2017 - 18:30

The lower house of the Tajik parliament has ratified the agreement on the modernization of the Kairakkum HPP. As reported by the Tajik Telegraph Agency, adding the project for rehabilitation of the Kairakkum HPP will be implemented in two phases. The agreement directly envisages launching the first phase of this project, which has an estimated total cost of $71 million. The funds will be allocated by the EBRD (European Bank for Reconstruction and Development of Technical Assistance).

 

Within the first phase of the project, two units will be modernized. It also involves restoring the dam of the Kairakkum hydroelectric station. After this upgrade, the capacity of the hydropower plant is expected to increase by 16 MW. In addition, a representative of the state energy holding of Tajikistan “Barki Tojik,” Golib Ubaidullozoda, reported that the capacity of the Kairakkum HPP would increase from 126 MW to 170 MW upon completion of the project.

 

“To date, the EBRD is negotiating the allocation of $180 million by the bank for implementation of the second stage of the project,” he said.

 

The Kairakkum HPP is a hydroelectric power station located on the Syr Darya River near Kairakkum in Tajikistan. Its designing began back in the 1940s, and in 1957 the station was put into operation. The power capacity of the HPP is 126 MW. It produces between 600 and 1,000 million kWh annually. The Kairakkum HPP was constructed primarily for irrigation and energy purposes. However, due to the electricity shortage in winter, the station works in the energy mode in winter and in spring, and in the irrigation mode in autumn and summer.

 

As of 2008, about 7 percent of all electricity generated in Tajikistan accounted for the Kairakkum HPP.

 

Worth recalling, in early May 2017, the World Bank allocated $225.7 million to Tajikistan for implementation of the Nurek hydropower plant project. Of this amount, 25 percent is provided in the form of a grant, and the remaining 75 percent is accommodated in the form of a loan.



URL of this article:
http://easttime.info/news/tajikistan/tajikistan-ratifies-agreement-modernization-kayrakkum-hydroelectric-power-station